Hey there, job hunters! Did you know?🤯
- Experts estimate around 70% of jobs aren’t even listed
- Some estimate upwards of 85% of jobs are secured through networking
That's right, most jobs are filled through personal connections and networking. That's a huge percentage, and it just goes to show the power of building relationships and connections in your industry.
So if you're solely relying on job postings and online applications, you might be missing out on a huge portion of job opportunities. It's time to get out there and start networking!
And don't worry, we've got some fun and effective strategies to help you build your network and land your dream job. So grab a coffee, take a deep breath, and let's get started!
💡 General tips on networking
Here are some tips specific to networking when looking for a job.
- Be a joiner - We want to join Linkedin groups or communities online that interest us or are relevant to our job, functions, or industry. It will help us not only to network but also to stay informed about what’s going on.
- Follow industry influencers - We want to identify and follow influencers online who regularly publish articles on industry-related topics. Twitter & LinkedIn are great for this. It will not only keep us up-to-date on current trends and issues but also give us the opportunity to share our thoughts.
- Create content and interact - Try to post regularly and interact with other people on LinkedIn.
- Give to receive - What can we give to the community that enhances our personal brand?
We’ve prepared some Challenges that will help you open some doors. Let’s go!🚀
Challenge 1 - Find and connect with professionals
LinkedIn is a massive database of professionals looking for opportunities to collaborate. We have the opportunity to discover new professionals either locally or internationally that may be able to help out with our professional endeavors. Think of referrals, mentoring, tips, tricks & industry insights, connections, etc…
From now on, you will work to increase your network. Your target? Have at least 50 new relevant contacts two weeks from now 🙂
🧠 Some ideas:
- People with similar positions from companies like you
- Heads, Managers etc. from companies you like
- HR professionals from companies you like
- Industry professionals
- University/Education colleges, professors, etc…
Challenge 2 - Posting and Sharing
Once you start to increase your network, you will see how your feed on LinkedIn starts to show you more and more quality content.
From now on, weekly, your challenge is to:
- Like at least 10 posts from your feed.
- Comment on at least 3 posts.
- Share at least 1 post.
Don’t just like anything, make sure it’s relevant and fits your brand. Please, read the post before commenting or sharing.
Challenge 3 - Find and follow companies
LinkedIn allows users not only to connect but also to follow companies. This feature gives us the chance to stay up to date on any news the company posts. Sometimes it’s the open position we’ve been waiting for!
Search and follow at least 10 companies you like on LinkedIn.
💡 A little tip: Once you have a few companies on your radar, LinkedIn will recommend similar pages.
Challenge 4 - Participate in relevant groups
A great way to meet new professionals to connect with is to join groups based on your interests or current profession and start participating. Other group members may like what they see and want to connect with you.
Think about your new career interest and use the search bar to find related groups and ask to join.
Your goal is to join > 10 LinkedIn groups (industry field related).
⭐ Just like that, a new LinkedIn Influencer has been born!
Jokes aside, we recommend you keep up this activity not only during your job search but also once you become employed. Staying active on social networks is one of the best sales tools out there!
There you have it, folks! Networking isn't just a buzzword or a business cliche - it's a powerful tool that can help you take your career to the next level. By building connections and relationships with people in your industry, you can gain valuable insights, access job opportunities, and even find mentors who can guide you along the way.
And the best part? Networking doesn't have to be stuffy or uncomfortable. With the right mindset and approach, you can make genuine connections with people and have fun doing it. So take some time to think about your networking goals, and start putting these tips into action.
Who knows – your next job opportunity might be just a conversation away! Good luck, and happy networking.🚀
This article belongs to the ultimate guide to securing your dream job in 2023! Join us as we embark on a journey of exploration and discovery, diving into the secrets of building and promoting a standout professional identity, mastering the art of crafting a winning CV, LinkedIn profile, and networking strategy, and learning the best strategies for finding opportunities, acing interviews, and making the right career choices. Check the complete series here out!
Keep an eye out for our next article, where we'll share some tips on how to not only find the job you want but also stand out from the competition!